Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Scatter Brained and Worn Out...BLAH!

So we just started the year, where do you find yourself trying to meet a portion of your goals to set you up for the next month. I think sometimes I need to scale myself down a bit and remember that I can wear myself out or tell myself to take a break. We are all there once, twice, or multiple times throughout the year. So what do you do? Here are a few things that I like to do when I get overwhelmed. 

  • Take a bubble bath, get a facial, get your hair done, get your nails done, and/or get a massage. 
  • Go out to dinner with friends or family. 
  • Go get a coffee with a friend and have a treat.
  • Meet a friend in a place that allows you to chat, share your situation, and gain some advice.
  • Take a nap.
Yes, I work hard some days that I forget to take a break. You see a goal and you work hard to get to the end result. It can be tedious and nerve-racking but we have to remember that we are human. We have to learn that it will be there tomorrow. Our families and overall health are more important not only to ourselves but also to our family and friends. So get up and walk away from the computer! I forget to tell myself this from time to time. It is okay. We learn that after our backs hurt from looking at a screen for nine hours straight. My husband tells me, "Shell, get up! Get away from the laptop and come eat a snack." So with that being said, I am guilty of this too! 

Tips to Prevent Burnout:
  • Set Clear Work Hours For Yourself. Do not work during the other hours that are set for family time, cleaning chores, dinner time, doing the things that you love, exercising, or even the time you set for preparing to go to bed. This all has to be a good balance in your life. 
  • Try Not To Answer E-mails or Phone Calls During Non-business Hours. What I mean is exactly what I am saying and that is don't answer your business call during dinnertime. I understand that there are extreme situations such as emergencies but do not make this a habit. Because you will find yourself not ever leaving work and you will eventually burn yourself out. Now if you feel that you need to address that email, make sure you pre-schedule it to go out the next morning during business hours. Not everything is urgent and you need to make clear that your clients know that you have set hours of operation.  
  • Find a Time to Manage Your Weekly Schedule. This means that each Sunday or pick another day that works for you, take time out of your busy schedule to see what meetings you may have that are important. Do you have this blocked out of your calendar so that no one sets up any other appointments during this time? By doing this, it prevents from having conflicts. This is a win-win situation not only for yourself but your client or anyone else that you are meeting. I think this is very important and sets you up as a very professional business person. 
  • Make Sure You Are Taking Vacation. Many years ago, I would cash in my vacation days thinking that it would help me get ahead. Boy, was I wrong! Taking time away from work to go on vacation was the BEST way to go! This time helps you to re-group, relax, getaway, and remember that work will be there when you get back. 
Honestly, my experience with burnout is what helps me balance all the things that I choose in my life. I am still building my routines and figuring out what works and what doesn't. Balance is what helps me stay where I need to be. I am a work in progress and life is constantly changing. 

Love Ya 
Shell



No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Multitasking Help You or Hurt You?

This is an important topic that should be evaluated for each business owner, entrepreneur, or worker for that matter. We all have so many th...